Chaka Delic's World of Music
Soul, House, Disco, Broken, Boogie Forever!
Chaka Delic live @ Revival, LA
October 05, 2016 03:06 AM PDT
This is a live mix I did for my buddy Pat Saphyakhajon's birthday. It's broken up into two links. This particular link is the 1st of two hours I played that night. Thanks to Jose Marin of Revival for hosting me and Brandon Anjeleno of Subliminal Radio for recording the set. My set starts about 6 minutes after Rudy V crushed it on his set. You can check out Rudy V and Juliet Mendoza's set on Subliminal Radio's soundcloud page. Enjoy!Chaka Delic live @ Revival (Part II)
October 05, 2016 03:18 AM PDT
This is Part II of a live mix I did at Revival in August, 2016. Start with Part I though!
Enjoy!Breath of Life
February 21, 2016 07:09 PM PST
Finally, my first mix of 2016! Quite delighted with the way this one came together but you can be the judge of whether it floats your boat or not. Sprinkles of atmosphere, inspiration, sophistication and danceable beats is the loose description I'd give of this.
The song selections are as follows:
1. Deep' Hole "Gone too Soon"
2. Exte C "Story Teller" (Broken Biza Original Mix)
3. Dzo, Deej LebotoniQ "About Music"
4. Reel Skaps, Man D.O "Crazy Love" (DeMontuh Remix)
5. Louis Lunch, Mandy Voca "Good Girl" (Calvin Fallo Remix)
6. Ralf GUM, Omar "Love Core" (Sir LSG Vocal Mix)
7. Hojulo "Freedom"
8. Msizo "Tech Me Now"
9. Jackson Brainwave "We Are Creatures"
10. Problem Child Ten83 "Oriental Spirits" (Ten83 Afro Ritualistik Mix)
11. Ancestral Invaders "African Drums"
12. C William, "Original Sin"
13. De Cave Man "Black Queen" (Pascal Morais Mix)
14. Shur-I-Kan "Away"
The painting for this mix is, again, by Djembe and Canvas and is entitled Bodhisattva's Breath of Life." Go to www.djembeandcanvas.com to check it out, as well as Joe's other paintings!
Hope you enjoy the mix and see you on the other side soon!
ChakaReturn of the Future
August 02, 2015 11:13 PM PDT
Future beats that progress from inspirational, dreamy and feel good to harder, rawer type sounds. Weighty tunes from the 2000 Black collective and Dego who collectively push the creative edge. Altered Natives adds the finishing touch at the end with his remix of Toyc's "Ruffer."
The selections are:
1. Max Riolo "Soul Eaters" (Loris Conte remix) [Rimoshee Traxx]
Once again, the artwork is by Djembe and Canvas. Go to www.djembeandcanvas.com and check out the pieces that are for sale. Outstanding works of art available for purchase.Chaka's Dreams
May 12, 2015 02:15 PM PDT
This mix is my heart. It's a way to get to know me from a non-conversational standpoint. The mix features elements of soul, atmosphere, elevation, etc. of the house music (soul and afro side of things) variety. Hope you enjoy it!
Playlist is as follows:
1. Missing Soul "Across Your Mind" [Future Vision]
November 10, 2014 03:16 AM PST
Atmospheric afro-laced tracks to point you in the right direction. Enjoy!
Track listing is as follows:
1. Audiojazz & Diamondancer "Welcome Home" (Africa) (Alexandra Hamptons Synth Soul Remix)
2. Thap'soul "Vasto Lorde"
3. Eazy P "Oluhle Lwethu"
4. Smooth Lights "Soulful Experience"
5. ProTee " Just So" (Knine Tseki Broken Beat Mix)
6. MoodAfrika "The Rhythm"
7. Deep Africans "Love Stories"
8. Diatonicfamily "Thank God" (Main Vox Mix)
9. Warm Days, Swindle, Natalie Maddix "Selfish Skys" (QB's Hot Mix)
10. E-Jay, Over12, Hagga' "Family Tribe" (Rosario's Sentimental Mix)
11. Groove Cartell "Waiting in Vain" ft. Maya Roze (Boddhi Satva Afriki Soul Remix)
12. Jullian Gomes "Love Song 28" (Charles Webster Mix 1)
13. Octopuz, Patrick Khuzwayo, Kalvin K "Sort It Out" (Octopuz Deeper Mix)
14. Cuebur, Bk "Creative Truth"
15. Genius of Time "Djungel Jam"Lift Off
January 12, 2014 01:59 PM PST
Happy new year all! Hope this mix finds you well. Here, you have another of the themes in Chaka Delic's "world of music." Not quite sure how to describe the sounds here, but if forced to would say that there are sprinkles of disco, "nu-disco," "neo-soul," a smidgen of techno leaning sounds. Anyhow, hope you all enjoy. More to come from me this year for sure!Welcome Aboard
September 22, 2013 10:59 PM PDT
Back to the old school and done the old school way (All vinyl, two turntables and a mixer). This mix showcases a different aspect of the sounds I like - soul and a bit of disco funk. It's more about the journey and selection here; not claiming to break the ultra rare and elusive, although you certainly won't find a couple of these easily and/or without paying good money for it.
The mix is roughly the set I played for the Beat Swap Meet in Los Angeles on September 15, 2013; roughly because I recorded this after and not when I played and because I can't be certain that the tracks in this particular set are identical to the Beat Swap Meet set.
The track listing is as follows:
1. Atmosfear "Xtra Special" (Dry mix) [Elite Records Ltd., 1982]
2. The Cool Notes "Spend the Night" [Abstract Records, 1985]
3. Patrice Rushen "Feels So Real (Won't Let Go)" [Elektra, 1984]
4. Gladys Knight & the Pips "Save the Overtime (For Me)" [Columbia, 1983]
5. Whodini "Five Minutes of Funk" [Jive, 1984]
6. I Level "Give Me" [Epic/Virgin, 1982]
7. Gwen Guthrie "Should've Been You" [Island Records, 1982]
8. Project Future "Ray-Gun-Omics" [Capitol Records, 1983]
9. Love Unlimited Orchestra (presents Charles Webster) "Welcome Aboard" [Unlimited Gold Records, 1981]
10. Charles Earland "Intergalactic Love Song" [Mercury, 1976]
11. Bloodfire VIII "Bloodfire vs. Creative Source" [Bloodfire, 2011]
12. GQ "Someday" [Arista, 1980]
Enjoy!The Bitter, the Sweet
May 14, 2013 02:29 AM PDT
Fancy new mix I whipped up this past Mother's Day weekend. I think mum would have enjoyed the sweet aspect of this more than the bitter. Nevertheless, she would have delighted in it all. RIP!
This one is a journey from the sweet to the bitter, although, truth be told, even the bitter is kind of sweet. Broken beat, house, latin flair, bass heavy sounds -- all in here. Shokazulu, Rima, Jazztronik and more in the cut. Enjoy!Magic
November 18, 2012 11:08 AM PST
I was motivated to do this by the Tatham, Mensah, Lord & Ranks release, the fact that it's been a while since I've made a mix, and a rainy day in Los Angeles, This was randomly put together, i.e. no predetermined concept or order. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did making the mix. Yes, the second song is from the Tatham, Mensah, Lord & Ranks release -- "Mind Skies." Get that album if you know what's good for your health!!
House, soul, broken beat, boogie, disco funk and other music rooted in soul.
Chaka is a Los Angeles based DJ who sprinkles bits of broken beat, house, brazilian, afro and latin treats on dancefloors. Inspired by his mother's musical tastes (although his father also held it down), Chaka's passion for music has lasted lifelong. However, it was in 1999 that he became exposed to broken beat and other future sounds by two adventurous and cutting edge DJs in D.C. (DJ Julius and John Johnson), although house music had delighted him much earlier. :) Chaka's signature sound lies between the realms of broken beat and soulful house music, although disco, electronica, afrobeat and some hip hop are also part of his repertoire. He has played alongside the likes of Daz-I-Kue, Mark de Clive-Lowe, Simbad, Domu, and Karizma, among others. If you like Chaka's mixes and wish to book him, you can contact him here or email him at email@example.com
Your donations make this
Chaka delic's Friends
Subscribe to this Podcast